Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Adventures in Blogdom

Okay, so last night I woke up at 4:00, unable to go back to sleep for all the blogthoughts that raced through my head. Who's going to read what I write? What topics are okay for me to write about and which ones should I keep undercover? Should I write about the silly thoughts that come to me day after day, or is this a Serious Blog? Kaleidoscope - Find hope and encouragement here, I say. Is that too pretentious, too self-absorbed? Can I write fluffy stuff here? On the other hand, if The World comes to my blog, do I want just anyone knowing my deepest fears and longings?

When I mentioned the 4:00 AM insomniac episode to my 8 year old grandson this morning, commenting that I wasn't sure what I should write about, he suggested, "I really, really love potato chips." I countered, "That would be great, except I don't love potato chips. But can I quote you on my blog?" I hope he said yes. He's a computer savvy kid (besides being fond of potato chips). I expect he'll find my blog. I saved it as a favorite on his mother's computer on Mother's Day. She found it yesterday and became my first Follower. See her picture?

Aside to my other three children: No sibling squabbling, now. Daughter #1 just means she was born first. She'll tell the rest of you how to get on board. Of course, you can probably figure it out for yourselves, too.

First Daughter asked me last evening why I hadn't e-mailed all my friends and family with the link to Kaleidoscope. "Are you shy?" she asked. I don't think so, not if waking up at night thinking about what I will say is any indication. But then, why haven't I told more people? (Refer to Second Reflections for more thoughts on this topic.)

Creating the blog has actually given me new impetus to write. (More on this later... sometime... maybe.)

But here's another blog-barrier. I'm still figuring out blogquette. For instance, I've noticed some of my writer friends with Blogspots appear desirous of remaining anonymous. No real names. No real pictures. So am I allowed to refer to them by their real names when I leave comments, or when I write about them here? Some - on the other hand - have real names and many pictures adorning their pages. I certainly don't want to be blogically incorrect.

My mind is fried. My eyes sting. I am sleepy. (Duh!)

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog world. No worries, you already have an audience. The rest should come easy.

    K. L. Knight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy,
    Welcome to our little blog neighborhood. I often list myself as anon. because my husband and I both have an account and the computer is often logged in to him-- so instead of logging out of his and into my account, I just come in as KP (So laziness is the dominant factor here). You can call me by name, if you want.
    When I first started, I was a bit skittish about everything so I didn't post a picture or anything but now it's just that I don't have many pics of me in the computer to choose from. In short, don't worry, and get some sleep!
    KP (Kimberly Patterson)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm absolutely delighted to find comments from Kim and KLKnight, two of my favorite writers. Thanks for your encouragement, ladies. NG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nancy. I am not anon. But I know people who are. I refer to them as they are listed. So far that works. Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Love it so far. I expect it will only get better. Hang in there, starting is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete